I actually got this pipe back around summer of 2014 when i first started refurbishing and repairing pipes. It was gifted to be by a member on the Dr.Grabow Collectors Forum. I was giving a few pipes by him that he did not want or use . I did not have many pipes at the time so the gifts were eagerly accepted by me . One of those pipes was this no name he picked up in a junk/antique store lot if I’m not mistaken. I don’t think he had more than a couple of dollars in it.
For the last two summers this has been one of my favorite pipes to sit outside with on the warm evening and nights . I usually load it up with some John Patton “Dark Horse” or “Storm Front” , just sit ,relax and drift away.
Well the warmer weather is arriving here so i thought i would pull it out of storage and give it a a going over . I went ahead and took some up to date pics and share what you can do with a non stamped basket pipe for little to no cost.
This is how the pipe arrived to me from Kentuck. Other than a few fills the briar has very nice grain . The stem although oxidized is of good quality vulcanite.
For some reason the bottom of pipe was designed rounded and would not sit on its heel.
Since getting this pipe i have seen a couple models of this pipe, round bottom and all . This model pipe was made by Jobey pipes when they were in New York City (pre Weber). So I’m about 99% positive this is a Jobey second. I had a picture of one with the factory box somewhere but i cant find it now.
On to the work………………..the pipe not being able to sit bugged me A LOT ,so that would be the first improvement . I sanded the heel flat with some 220 grit followed with 400-800.
The draw was not that great and I noticed the drilling was slightly off. With the stem on a pipe cleaner would catch about 1/16 of inch from the bowl chamber. I took a drill bit a little larger than the factory drilling and slowly ( by hand) drilled the airway larger.
Its as open as a subway tunnel now . Pipe cleaner drops right in no problem . This made the pipes draw MUCH better.
I sanded out some of the bowl cake.
Soaked the stem in Oxy Clean a couple of hours. Removed the oxidation with a green pad .
I contrast stained the bottom of pipe . First i colored it in with a black sharpie . I did this three times letting in dry in between to make sure the black got into the grain well.
I then wet sanded it off with the black remaining in the grain.
I then did the same with a red sharpie .
I wet sanded the stem with 600-2500 grit . The bowl with 1200 – 2500 grit and touched up the fills. The pipe is now ready for a good buff and wax .
After buff and wax
This is a couple of original after pictures i took in 2014.
Here is some pics i took last night after i buffed the stem and gave it a couple coats of wax.
The re-drilling i did on this pipe made a HUGE difference . It has a very easy draw now and smokes like champ. If you run across a no name basket pipe don’t ignore it and give the pipe a second look. If it has good bones a little elbow grease and a drill bit can turn a ok pipe into a GREAT smoking pipe ( if its not already a great smoker). Most of time you can get them for a real bargain and that’s always nice if you are on a tight budget.
I have thought about sending the pipe off to be sandblasted by a friend of mine . Maybe one day.
Now if only summer would get here 🙂 We are ready !
Til next time ,good smokes to you .