I acquired this unrestored Kaywoodie 76B Relief Grain from my friend Shae who runs Vintage Pipes on Etsy. Thank you Shae.
Visit his shop sometime and look around. He has some fine restored pipes and pipe accessories for sale.
This was a Kaywoodie shape i have in a Super Grain and its a favorite of mine. I wanted to also add one to my sandblast Relief Grain collection.
The pipe other than faded and dirty was in excellent condition.
When i went to unscrew the stem the metal collar had stuck to the tenon stinger and unscrewed from the pipe.
This is a result of sitting uncleaned for a long period of time and or sitting too tight allowing corrosion to build up from moisture left in the pipe. Its a easy fix though.
I was pleased its a early Relief Grain 4 hole stinger model. Relief Grain’s were first introduced in 1947 and still made til present day.Being a 4 hole stinger model puts this pipe most likely between 1947- early 1950’s before Kaywoodie went to the smaller 3 hole stingers. The shape number breaks down as
76B Medium English Billiard 1938-1972
If you notice it has the black clover in white circle like a Flame Grain. I used to wonder why some pipes had this type of clover when they were most widely known as only used on the Flame Grain model . One day while doing some research i found this comment about it posted by Bill Feuerbach on the Kaywoodie Forums. He is president of SM Frank who owns Kaywoodie pipes.
” All pipes ( Kaywoodie) prior to 1937 had the white cloverleaf. The Flame Grain line, which came out in 1937 was the first to have the round logo, black inside the white circle and for those with a rock ambera stem, white cloverleaf inside a black circle. After 1937 as new lines got added, such as Gale, Meerschaum lined, they too would have the round logo. The white logo continued on the lower priced Drinkless line. As more lower priced lines came out they would have the white logo. Logos, both round and white were on top of the stem until the late 1940’s, after which they were moved to the side of the stem. Inlaid cloverleafs of both types were in use until about 1980. During that 1937 to 1980 span they were pretty much and indication of retail price point. The upper price points had the round logo and the lower had the white cloverleaf. There are always exceptions to the rule. As an example, lets say some pipes were being made as Flame Grain and the stems had the round logo. Along they way, some flaws may have popped up that would have caused it to be downgraded to say Standard or some that required rustication ( or sandblast) and turned into a Fine Line, so rather than refit the stem, they finished it out with the round logo. Pipes could be down graded but I would say never upgraded, so I don’t think you’d ever see a Flame Grain or a Centennial with a plain white logo. ”
So this Relief Grain was going to start out as a Flame Grain but got downgraded to a Relief Grain because of a flaw.
On to the refurbish.
The bowl had a good amount of cake in it. I could barley stick my pinkie down in it. With a some scrapping and some coarse grit paper i got it down to a nice thin uniformed coat .
I let the stem soak in some 91% and gave the shank a good cleaning. After the stem soaked for a while i was able to unscrew the female collar from the stinger/tenon.
I ran a pipe cleaner through the stinger and rigged it across my container of Oxy Clean and warm water to keep the metal out of it as much as possible to prevent corrosion to it while it removed the oxidation from the vulcanite.
While the stem soaked i cleaned the briar real good with a mild cleaner i use. The rim char was quite bad and took a bit of soaking in alcohol and scrubbing to get rid of.
After cleaning i gave the briar a good wipe down with mineral oil and screw the collar back in by hand. Once I tighten the stem back in place real good it will lock the collar in. The heat from smoking it a few times will also aide in securing it. No need for any type of glue or epoxy.
After taking out the stem from the Oxy Clean bath i gave it another good cleaning and scrubbing with 91% alcohol to remove any Oxy Clean or tar reside on or inside it.
There was some small sharp teeth marks around the button i was able to remove with a little heat and filling. The previous owner must have had teeth like a house cat.
I then gave the file marks a good wet sand with 500 grit and then worked my way up to 2800 grit.I also gave the 4 hole stinger a good going over with 000 steel wool.
Another good soak with mineral oil over briar and stem.
After some stem buffing i applied several coats of carnauba wax .
Finished Kaywoodie 76B Relief Grain.
The stamping’s are a little hard to read from the picture. Its easier to read in person. The Relief Grain was mostly taken off during the blast process.
I could still detect a slight ghost in the pipe after it was finished , but a couple of bowls of 5 Brothers straight burley took care of that. Its a great smoke for taking care of a slight ghost but its a pretty strong tobacco so if you don’t like large doses of nicotine, beware. I like it though ,but I’m mostly a straight burley smoker.
Its a fine smoker and really light weight. I like these smaller long shank 76B’s for flakes and strong tobacco.
Til next time,
Good smokes to you.